Often times, especially on Cape Cod, the biggest hurdle for homeowners is how to get their project off the ground. Whether you are buying a lot, tearing down a house, or remodeling, the challenge is alway how to start. Here are some suggestions.
- Write down a list of wants vs. needs for your project
- Hire a reputable design-build contractor who can assemble the team of experts needed to make the project a success.
- Discuss budget early in the process, working with a design/build contractor is the best way to project a reasonable budget so there are no surprises.
- Work with a local lender and the building team to ensure realistic financing options. Bankers are ready and willing to lend, but local banks have much more flexibility and know the unique characteristics of the Cape.
- Permits need to be the first priority after the exterior design work is complete, especially if you are purchasing land. NEVER buy a vacant lot without a valid building permit.
- Make decisions on all of the details before you start work. Picking out cabinets, paint colors, roofing, siding, flooring and all of the other finish components is critical if you want accurate pricing and timely completion of the work.
- The team approach works! - Take the time to investigate all of the players involved and find a team that you feel comfortable with and that has the track record that can guarantee the success of your project.
This is just a brief synopsis of the key steps involved in a successful project. If you are thinking of starting a new construction or renovation project on Cape Cod and have any questions, click here to talk to one of REEF's experts!