We all know it's coming...Summer was great...Fall is wonderful...and ol' man Winter is on his way. How will your home fare the storm season? I know I'll be stowing the porch furniture soon.
Nationwide has a great site with Winter Preparation Tips:
Here's some Top Tips from the NAHB:
To help prepare your home for the winter weather, the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) Remodelers has provided home maintenance tips that are designed to increase energy-efficiency and decrease the chance of emergency repairs.
- Check for gaps in insulation or crawl spaces that expose pipes to cold air and the risk of freezing and bursting.
- Have your heating system checked by a licensed technician before cold weather requires daily use.
- Block drafts around doors, windows and baseboards with weather stripping, window film and caulk to control heat loss.
- Install storm doors and windows to improve energy-efficiency and keep drafts at bay.
- Get chimneys cleaned by an experienced chimney sweep to prevent the risk of a fire from buildup or blockages.
- Spray door locks with powdered-graphite lubricant to prevent freezing and sticking.
- Set ceiling fans to rotate clockwise to force rising warm air back towards the floor.